Monday, April 2, 2018

2018 March Dividend Summary

Spring has arrived and the month of March has come to a close.  As I referenced in the February summary, March was a another month with significant changes in dividend income YoY.  This year I received $986.60 in dividends compared to last year's total of $427.97, a 76.6% increase.  Similar to the months the January and February, the significant changes in dividend income were largely driven by changes in holdings within my portfolio.  In early 2017 I deployed quite a bit of cash that I had generated from selling some ETFs, non-dividend paying stocks, as well as some idle cash I had built up in my retirement account.  Below are some details as well as some additional commentary on the dividend income for the month.




One of the things I am most pleased about when viewing the summary above is the 10.5% increase in dividend income resulting from the increases in the dividend rates in the past 12 months.  Said another way, had I not invested a single penny in the intervening 12 months (not even reinvesting the dividends received during that period), I still would have received an additional $58.65 above what was received last year for a total of $617.28 - just downright fantastic!  Per review of the column on the far right, you'll note that there were are a number of companies that increased their dividends significantly, namely UL (+29.5%), UNP (+20.7%), NSC (+18%), GLW (+16.1%), PSX (+11.1%), LAMR (+9.6%), and GILD (+9.6%).

Now, since I do not currently rely on my dividend income to support my cost of living, I pool the dividends received through the year with the incremental savings I contribute to my brokerage and/or retirement accounts to acquire either additional shares of companies I already own or initiate new positions in companies I believe are currently being offered at fair valuations.  For example, I recently initiated new positions in Procter and Gamble (PG) and Kimberly-Clark (KMB) as well as added to my preexisting position in Kimco Realty (KIM) in recent weeks.  The investment of these pooled dollars (which may also include proceeds from the sales of certain equity shares) result in the changes seen in the column labeled "Volume $".

Note: due to the Easter holiday weekend, the dividends issued from UNP, NOV, and CLDT showed up in my account activity on March 30th (market and some banks were closed), however, the statement/settlement date is shown April 2nd.  As such, I have chosen to reflect this dividend income in the summary above based on the earlier date of March 30th, which is consistent with prior years. Those familiar with the Easter holiday will know that this holiday sometime falls within the month March and at other times within the first week of April as is this case in 2018 (April 1st).

2 comments:

  1. PIV.....un-freaking-beliavable. What a great month. That growth rate and these results are extremely impressive. Congrats on the progress and I cannot wait to see what you accomplish in the second quarter.

    Bert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bert,

      I am definitely excited about the results for March. It is very satisfying to see portfolio growth,especially in regards to YoY dividend growth. It is also very inspiring to follow along and read about others' investing experience.

      PIV

      Delete