Thursday, January 11, 2018

2017 December Dividend Summary

Happy New Year!

Each year, December typically brings in the largest sum of dividend income and this year was no exception.  Total dividends in December amounted to $1,397, representing an 8.9% increase over the same period last year. See below for a summary of the monthly dividend income:



With December being the capstone to the year, my total dividend income in 2017 amounted to $5,557 a ~50% YoY increase compared to 2016.  Of course, there were multiple factors that contributed to this significant increase - one of the primary factors was a result of the redistribution of capital between non-dividend paying companies (i.e. PYPL) and ETFs (i.e.SCHE).  I am quite happy with the results for both December and the year as a whole and look forward to 2018.

The shares of Vanguard Global Equity Fund (VHGEX) currently reside in an Roth IRA account and in the near term I anticipate swapping these shares for another mutual fund/ETF focusing on US domiciled dividend paying companies.  Looking back, I should have never purchased the Global Equity fund within an IRA account since the foreign tax withheld is deductible.  I have a similar situation with my TEF shares, where a portion of my TEF holdings is also in a Roth IRA.



At the close of December, the PIV portfolio was valued at $238,594 with a projected annual dividend income of $6,554 (per Google Finance).  With the help of addition purchases in 2018, I expect this next year's dividend income to exceed $7,200.  Stay tuned!

In the near future, I plan to create a separate post with a net worth update to capture a snapshot and be able to look back over time to see the growth.  I have been utilizing Quicken since I was a young(er) adult in my early 20s and I can run a report from it at any time giving me both the current and historical review of my net worth.  I would like to keep a record of the net worth trend here on this blog as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment